Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

So...I've been searching ways to be more frugal. I think we can all agree that cleaning products are ridiculously expensive. Pinterest has been very encouraging for finding shortcuts in the home.

I discovered the recipe for homemade laundry detergent from a blog called Why Not Sew?

Sometimes I am a bit skeptical of things I see online - but Erin has spent a great deal of time answering questions and clarifying anything right up. Reading the comments definitely made me feel right at ease and I dove headfirst into this project.
So here's what you need:

  • 1 bar of soap (I used Dove Unscented)
  • 1 cup Borax
  • 1 cup A&H Washing Soda
  • A big pot (it needs to hold more than 2 gallons)
  • A grater
  • A funnel
  • A long spoon
  • A container to hold your finished product (Walmart was selling those nifty 2.5 gallon drink things)
What you do:

Grate your bar of soap - sometimes it gets too thick, so 1/2 bar works. I used 1/2 bar and the consistency was fine :)

Add soap and 1 gallon of water into the pot. Cook until soap dissolves.

Add borax and washing soda - you can find these in the laundry/cleaning aisle. Bring to a boil (it should coagulate)...turn off the heat. Add 1 gallon of cold water.

Pour soap into container. It will solidify up within 24 hours. If not, you should probably use a whole bar of soap. If anything, go to Erin's page and read through the comments. She gives many solutions to different issues you may have. Mine worked out perfectly though. You use 1/2 a cup per load. 

You can also add in essential oils for fragrance. 2 gallons should last for 64 loads. I'll have to find the prices for the Borax, A&H and soap and figure out what the total cost is for 2 gallons of laundry detergent compared to the store bought stuff! :)

1 comment:

Ricki said...

I just saw this same recipe on 17 kids & counting (season 1) .. been considering doing it myself.. Now you're blogging about it. Its a sign I should lol.