Saturday, August 25, 2012

Meteors + Skunk

Every year since as long as I can remember, I've tried to see the Perseids meteor shower in August. 2009 was my first successful viewing - I saw about 13 really awesome meteors. They were so cool! Every other year it has been too cloudy :(

So this year, I was bound and determined to get to see them again - get Nick to see them and then wake up the kids so they could see them.

We started checking each night from the 10th because you can see some that early, but best nights are 12th and 13th. It had been cloudy EVERY night and bugging the crap out of me. So on the 13th, we went out and were really hoping to see some. We went out around 9:30 pm and were sitting on the hill next to our sideyard's fence.

We waited for our eyes to adjust. We couldn't really see anything. All of a sudden my husband JUMPS UP and yells incoherently. I'm like "What?" and he goes "THE SKUNK IS BACK!" - I look to my left and not even 4 feet away from me is a skunk. So, of course, I get up and run away. Thankfully neither of us got sprayed. This little skunk has been hanging around - it's been in our sideyard, behind our house, etc.

We decided to sit in our driveway (which we share with the duplex next door as well - so a total of 4 parking spots and a nice little driveway up to it). And a few minutes later, we see a skunk (pretty sure the same one) trying to sneak up on us from the duplex next door's garage. WTH?! So we went inside. LOL

We came back out around 11:30 and were able to see 2 really faint meteors - which wasn't nearly as awesome as 2009, but we saw something and that was enough for me :)

Have you seen a meteor shower? Or had a close encounter with a skunk?

1 comment:

Amber M. said...

Hahahaha! That's funny. I'm sorry you didn't get to see more though.