Thursday, February 21, 2013

Things I Don't Love Thursday

{Hosted by Lulu & Sweet Pea}

Deployment.
The big "D" word.
Blech....

For those of you who are new to Fortune Favors - this is nothing new. My husband has been to Iraq in 2008 and Afghanistan in 2010. It's literally months away and we just found out he was going...but we're also in a weird stage where it may end up changing that he's not going. It's really crazy. When he first got up to Drum in 2007, he knew right off the bat when he was deploying. When he returned from Iraq, he knew immediately that he would be deploying to Afghanistan in a year's time. So to not know for sure until it happens, is really odd for us.

The strangest thing for me is that I'm not terribly upset just yet. I'm not really freaking out or mildly crying or clingy. It's like I am okay with it...which is weird. His deployment to Iraq - cakewalk. Easy peasy. He would agree on his end of things too. He always says he'd go back to Iraq over Afghanistan any day of the week. Afghanistan deployment was hard all the way around...for him, for me, for the kids. In Iraq, we emailed from 1pm to 1am every day except his day off - Saturday. (He's commo, so emailing me helps to make sure his networks are up and running :)) On Saturdays, he webcammed with the kids and I from 6pm til their bedtime. Then with just me from 8pm to 10pm. He'd go get chow and then come back around 12am and webcam with me until 3 or 4am. It was amazing. In Afghanistan, we webcammed one time...and we spoke on the phone for 5 to 10 minutes every couple of weeks. It was incredibly hard.

So at this point...since I have had two very different deployment experiences on each end of the spectrum, I feel like I'm prepared. I survived both. I know I can do it again. There isn't anything I can do to change it or that he can do to change it, so you gotta suck it up and DEAL.

I'm still worried about the kids...really Matthew. He took BOTH deployments really hard. We've already told them that he is leaving for Afghanistan again. I'm happy that Matthew will be in school for most of it and Cami will be in school for most of it too (when she starts this fall). I'm hoping it, plus the help of some of the military personnel that hold down the base at school, will make it an easier deployment for them.

I'm also kind of glad that I'm the FRG Leader now. There are a couple wives who are new to the army and their husbands have never deployed, so I feel like I'm the perfect moral support. It's so strange that I'm the veteran army wife now. 6 years.

*Phew*

If you are a spouse of a deployed soldier and you ever need to talk, give me a holler. I know how it goes, I know how much it sucks, I know I know! Sometimes you just need someone to talk to.     

 photo fortunesiggy_zps8aec6f49.png

5 comments:

The Pink Growl said...

I'm so sorry you having to deal with this AGAIN :( Please know how valuable and important your husband's job is and how much your family's sacrifice is truly appreciated! HUGS!

Jessica Gehman said...

I think I'm getting your Afghanistan experience now with LB (Little Brother) being there. Korea was amazing with being able to skype, text, call - loved it. Afghanistan sucks, I mailed a box 4 weeks ago and it still isn't there, sad face.

Bri said...

Aww BOO!! That sucks! I'm sorry girl!

Lub joo!

Jessica Eustace said...

Oh Sarah I hate this for you and your family :( Are you bringing back the kiss jar again?

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

The families that stay behind and deal with deployment stateside are heroes too.

So nice of you to offer an ear to anyone going through something similar.