Saturday, August 27, 2011

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban [Review]

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)

Stats:
#3 in HP series
435 pages
Published 1 October 1999

Synopsis:
For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Fearing punishment from Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon (and from officials at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who strictly forbid students to cast spells in the nonmagic world of Muggles), Harry lunges out into the darkness with his heavy trunk and his owl Hedwig. 

As it turns out, Harry isn't punished at all for his errant wizardry. Instead he is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. What Harry has to face as he begins his third year at Hogwarts explains why the officials let him off easily. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected?


My Thoughts:
I love this book. It's my favorite of the series and probably in my top 5 favorite books of all-time. It's just absolutely amazing! Along with a new teacher, I love that we learn more about James Potter's time at Hogwarts and the time leading up to his and Lily's death. The last page is definitely the very best though :)

Previous Book:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling [here]

Next Book:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling 

 

5 comments:

Lulu and Sweet Pea said...

I love that you are rereading all of these! I love this one too because this is where to books start to get a little heavier & darker. *spoiler alert* I love Sirius' character too & was happy to find out that he was in fact a good guy & harry's godfather. I was SO bummed when first reading it that he had to leave to escape the dementors & azkaban at the end...I wanted harry to be able to go live with him in the summer & not the stupid Dursleys!!!!

heather said...

This has always been my favorite of the series too.

My Monday list is at http://www.spiritblog.net/?p=3561.

Lindsey said...

I just read the whole Harry Potter series this year. I was sad I waited so long - what a wonderful series! I can't wait to share it with my little guy when he gets older.
http://literarylindsey.blogspot.com/2011/08/its-monday-and-sun-is-out.html

Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) said...

I know so many people who are rereading these. I am sure that going back it is very different and you notice different things. I hope you have a great week. It's my birthday week so I am hoping it will be great. Here is my week in review, if you are interested.

Unknown said...

Your the 2nd blogger reading HP in "It's Monday!" It makes me really want to re-read the HP series :D Enjoy your week ;)