Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Lightning Thief [Book Review]


Stats:
#1 in Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
Kindle Edition, 396 pages
Published May 5th 2009 by Disney Hyperion (first published June 1st 2005)
ASIN: B00280LYIC
Find on Goodreads


Synopsis:
Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood. I never asked to be the son of a Greek God. I was just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I accidentally vaporized my maths teacher. That's when things started really going wrong. Now I spend my time fighting with swords, battling monsters with my friends, and generally trying to stay alive.

This is the one where Zeus, God of the Sky, thinks I've stolen his lightning bolt - and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea.

Can Percy find the lightning bolt before a fully-fledged war of the Gods erupts?



My Thoughts:
I watched the movie when it came out and loved it. I was always really big into mythology when I was a kid and even though these are middle grade, I wanted to read them myself and try and figure out if I could get away with reading them aloud to the kids or a time frame that would be appropriate for them to read the series :)

Percy Jackson is a troubled 12 year old suffering from dyslexia and ADHD who is jumping from school to school. Everything in his world starts to go a little south when he is attacked by a teacher-turned-monster. He finds out that he is a demi-god and son of god of sea, Poseidon. Percy also finds out that he is being framed as the Lightning Thief and everyone thinks he is in possession of Zeus' master bolt. But, of course, he had no idea that this world of gods and myths actually existed and is being framed.

----

I really loved this one. As a middle grade, it was not nearly as juvenile as I expected. Rick Riordan is a very talented writer. Loved the characters and story and cannot wait to read more of the series and Riordan's work! (: 


Previous Review:
Perception by Lee Strauss [here]

Linked up at...



No comments: