Monday, June 5, 2017

Books I Read in May


The Hanging Girl by Eileen Cook - 3.5 stars (finished 5/12)
Review to come.
I was gifted this book via Netgalley.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling - 5 stars (finished 5/12)
I was ecstatic about this book and meant to read it forever ago, but then I never got around to it. I need to get the other mini books that are set in the Harry Potter world as well. I loved the humor of this book and the illustrations were gorgeous. My favorite beasts are the Crup (likened to a Jack Russell Terrier - squee), the Demiguise (interested in its textile uses), the Jobberknoll (for its interesting death), the Knarl (that is a suspicious hedgehog), and the Wampus Cat. I found the Lethifold terrifying and the Runespoor very very fascinating. Overall, loved the creatures and writing and illustrations. Cannot recommend it enough to HP fans!

I Survived: Five Epic Disasters by Lauren Tarshis - 3.5 stars (finished 5/13)
This book follows five disasters: The Children’s Blizzard (1888), The Titanic Disaster (1912), The Great Boston Molasses Flood (1919), The Japanese Tsunami (2011), and The Henryville Tornado (2012). Each event has a short story and is then followed by some various facts about the event and similar events as well. I thought it was very well written and loved the pictures in it. I think as a kid, I would have gobbled these books up.  

None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio - 5 stars (finished 5/18)
Review: here.
I was gifted this book via Netgalley. 

Buzz Books 2017: Young Adult Fall/Winter by Publishers Lunch - 4 stars (finished 5/26)
Review: here.
I was gifted this book via Netgalley. 


No comments: