Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Book Review: Read Me Like a Book by Liz Kessler


Publish Date: May 14, 2015
304 Pages [Kindle edition]
Published by Orion Children's Books

 
Synopsis:

Ashleigh Walker is in love. You know the feeling - that intense, heart-racing, all-consuming emotion that can only come with first love. It's enough to stop her worrying about bad grades at college. Enough to distract her from her parents' marriage troubles. There's just one thing bothering her...

Shouldn't it be her boyfriend, Dylan, who makes her feel this way - not Miss Murray, her English teacher?


A thought-provoking coming out story from a highly skilled author.



My Thoughts:
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
I was so disappointed in this book. I thought the premise sounded incredibly interesting and taboo. I wanted to see how this book handled not only LGBT issues, but also a teacher-student relationship. I felt that's what it was pitched as. Instead, it was a really disjointed story that didn't piece together very well and the LGBT really didn't come into play until closer to the end and seemed very rushed. The teacher-student relationship was basically one-sided and non-existent. That's good, in the sense of morality, but also was a letdown as per my expectations from the synopsis.

The characters were not fleshed out and the story was a whiplash of many different stories that didn't seem to work together. I was disgusted in Dylan's interactions with Ashleigh and that issue was sort of glossed over.

Find on Goodreads

No comments: