Saturday, June 2, 2012

Escaping Titanic: A Young Girl's True Story of Survival [Review]

Stats: 
32 pages [ebook]
Published 1 Feb 2012
ISBN: 1404872353
[Amazon::Barnes&Noble]


Synopsis:

Commemorate the Titanic's disastrous voyage with this harrowing tale of survival. Follow the true story of young Ruth Elizabeth Becker as her awe of the mighty Titanic turns to horror when she is separated from her mother and siblings. Ages 5-10.


My Thoughts:
I read this book to my kids who haven't heard of the Titanic - my 5 year old said it was "awesome" and wants to read it again tomorrow. My son is really interested in reading right now and I thought the story was very well-written for younger kids. It wasn't too graphic and he seemed to remember some of the stuff that I read to him - like how the boat sank in April.

I like how the story isn't a made up one - they took an actual survivor and made it into a story. For as long as I can remember, I liked to soak up any and all facts and information about the Titanic. I've always found it fascinating. I really appreciated the Afterword that talked more about the survivor Ruth Becker and told of her remaining life after escaping Titanic.

The illustrations were absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you to Capstone and NetGalley for allowing me to review this book!





Previous Review:
Still Alice by Lisa Genova {here}

No comments: