Saturday, June 23, 2012

Touch of Frost [Review]


Stats: 
385 pages [Kindle]
Published 1 August 2011
ASIN:  B004SIDTM6
[Amazon::Barnes&Noble]


Synopsis:

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why —especially since I should have been the one who died. . .



My Thoughts:



Sometimes I get a little worried that I won't find anymore books to fall in love with. I have so many favorite series, favorite heroines, favorite authors...and then I read a new book and am shocked to find that my heart has more room for more book love :)

I love the way this book is written. It reads more in the main character's, Gwen Frost, voice. There's lots of slang and lots of emotion. I love this style because I feel like you can connect so much more with the character. I really liked Gwen - she is very relatable to me. I have been to a new school and felt like an outcast - I've always been a turbo nerd and never been concerned with the latest fashion or whatnot.

I've always loved anything mythology-related. I was so stoked when Estep starting throwing out gods and goddesses and powers. This book was an easy read for me. I just soaked it all up. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys gods/goddesses/mythology.

I also really loved the end of the book where Estep wrote about her inspiration - Clash of the Titans, The Iliad/The Odyssey (one of my personal favorites), and Xena. Seriously, how could this book be any more awesome?!

I am so excited to read where Estep goes with this story! Will Jasmine's family revenge her death, will Logan Quinn reveal his dirty secrets, etc!



Previous Review:
Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin {here}


[Counts toward my TBR Pile challenge: here] 

Linked up at...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! This sounds great!!

Shoshanah said...

I don't think I've seen this one before, but it does look like one that I'd probably really enjoy.