Thursday, May 3, 2018

Book Review: Mr 60% by Clete Barrett Smith


Publish Date: Aug 22, 2017
192 Pages [Kindle edition]
Published by Crown Books for Young Readers

Synopsis:
Witty, honest, and wholly captivating, Mr. 60% is a perfect read for fans of The Spectacular Now and Where Things Come Back.
 
Matt Nolan is the high school drug dealer, deadbeat, and soon-to-be dropout according to everyone at his school. His vice principal is counting down the days until Mr. 60% (aka Matt) finally flunks out and is no longer his problem. What no one knows is the only reason Matt sells drugs is to take care of his uncle Jack, who is dying of cancer.

Meet Amanda. The overly cheerful social outcast whose optimism makes Matt want to hurl. Stuck as partners during an after-school club (mandatory for Matt), it’s only a matter of time until Amanda discovers Matt’s secret. But Amanda is used to dealing with heartbreak, and she’s determined to help Matt find a way to give life 100 percent.

 
My Thoughts:
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
Mr 60% follows the story of Matt who is taking care of his uncle jack who is been sick for quite some time. Matt is barely passing school and he's also selling drugs on the side to make money to pay for pain medication for his uncle.

I went into the story not really expecting what I read. Although it was short, the author managed to make me feel connected to the characters and the story itself evoked so much sadness. It was such a good story in that I felt it was an honest look at someone who's experiencing a loved one with an illness that is terminal. I felt like it was an honest take on someone who doesn't have parents in his life and poverty has resulted in selling drugs to make ends meet. I found Uncle Jack to be a wonderful character. I also really loved Amanda and loved her unconditional selflessness. I do wish that there was more to the book than there was because I really enjoyed it. But I will most definitely take what I got.



No comments: