Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Top Ten Books On My TBR I’m Avoiding Reading and Why

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. More information here.



  1. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff - I have started this twice and then keep setting it down. It's been so hyped and I think that's the reason why I just haven't continued reading it. I just finished a physical book today, so my plan is to pick it up and keep reading. I've only gotten to page 16 (I think) and I enjoyed what I had read. I think honestly it's just because it's so long. But now Darkdawn is here (because my husband has read the first two and is dying to read the conclusion), so I have no excuses.
  2. Bird Box by Josh Malerman - I have been on hold at the library since December 2018 and keep it on an infinite suspended state basically. I want to see the movie but won't watch it until I read the book.
  3. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng - Another library hold...this one since March 2018. I'm intimidated by this one because it's an adult book and I am so afraid it's going to go over my head. Really the only adult books I read are smutty books. I struggle with vocabulary sometimes and it can really take me out of a book when I stumble upon a word I don't know. I have this really annoying habit of having to look it up instead of just going with my gut and inferring what the definition of the word is based on the context clues.
  4. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid -  I haven't had this one on hold as long as some of the others, but January 2019 is still 9 months. This one I'm not reading because it's SO hyped. SO SO SO hyped and I'm afraid I won't like it. Honestly that is the case for a lot of these books. I'm afraid the hype will get me good and I won't like any of them.
  5. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin - March 2018 is when I put it on hold at the library. Suspended over and over again like the others. This is another one that intimidates me. I have read adult fantasy, so I don't think that's the intimidating factor as much as it's just jumping into a new fantasy world.
  6. Feast For Crows by George R.R. Martin - Avoiding finishing this one even though I was 60% through it (or maybe slightly more) when I set it down in the summer of 2014. Originally it was just the length and being in the middle of moving to Tennessee, buying our first home, and having a new baby, but then it turned into avoiding it because I don't want to waste my time on a book series that will never be finished.
  7. Dance of Dragons by George R.R. Martin - See number 6
  8. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - I enjoyed Cinder a whole lot and then I heard Scarlet was the worst book in the series...so I definitely hesitate to pick it up.
  9. Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman - so this one is probably the most positive avoidance on the list. I'm putting this one off because I want to be able to pick up the last book immediately after. I have heard so many good things about it and I know I will love it as much, if not more, than the first one. My husband and 12 year old have both read it and my son finished it and goes "WHAT?!" and immediately went to discuss with his dad, so I know it's going to be an amazing read. Plus I can read it while the other two read The Toll :)
  10. Basically any sequel(s) written to a YA book that debuted in the early 2010s. I got into Goodreads in 2011 and my TBR got out of control and I fell in love with YA books. I have so many book series that I've only read the first book out of and I'm avoiding continuing because now I need to reread the first book -_-

No comments: