Friday, July 29, 2011

Quiver [Review]


Stats:
304 Pages
Published 25 Jan 2011

Synopsis:
In sixteenth-century Hungary, Countess Elizabeth Báthory tortured and killed over six hundred servant girls in order to bathe in their blood; she believed this brutal ritual would preserve her youth and beauty

Danica, a young forensic psychologist, is drawn to Báthory’s legend. She has moved from Canada to England to work at Stowmoor, a Victorian insane asylum turned modern-day forensic hospital. One of her patients, the notorious Martin Foster, murdered a fourteen-year-old girl in homage to Báthory. He cultivates his criminal celebrity and Danica struggles to maintain a professional demeanor with the charismatic Foster as she begins to suspect that his activities may be linked to a cabal that idolizes Báthory.

Danica’s life in London becomes increasingly complicated when Maria, a glamorous friend from Danica’s past, arrives to do archival work in the city. She claims to have discovered Báthory’s long-lost diaries and slowly reveals horrific passages to Danica. As Danica’s career and her relationship with her artist-boyfriend, Henry, begin to break down, Maria lures her into a complex social sphere. Unsure of who to trust, Danica’s professional and personal lives become dangerously entwined, and she must decide what she is willing to risk to satisfy her attraction to Báthory’s ominous legend.



My Thoughts:
I don't know what everyone was talking about with this book being "slow" - I was hooked the whole time. I wanted to keep reading and keep reading. I like how it flip-flopped in time a little and I like how it included the diary entries of Bathory. I was just plain impressed.

It ended well and I am going to go looking to see if there will be a sequel. The story leaves it up in the air as if there could be a sequel.
 


This book was for my Readers Anonymous book club :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh wow, I haven't heard of this one! It sounds really interesting! I think I'd enjoy this one! Thank you for linking up again!

Whit said...

This is not what I expected from the cover. It sounds really interesting! Definitely putting it on my To Read list.

glitterskulls said...

i will have to check this out. sounds super interesting.