Sunday, July 15, 2018

Magical Readathon: N.E.W.T.s 2018 [TBR]

I sat for my OWLs in the month of July in preparation for the NEWTs in the month of August. I am ready for more Magical Readathon fun (hosted by G of The Book Roast).

For those who aren't completely obsessed with Harry Potter, OWLs stands for Ordinary Wizarding Levels that are taken in the fifth year. You take these for each subject you study and wish to continue studying in school in preparation for NEWTs.

NEWTs stands for Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests. You take the tests you need for the career you wish to have when school is done. For NEWTs, there are three grades you can earn: acceptable, exceeds expectation, or outstanding. Some wizarding jobs, you only need an A, others you need an E or O. Different jobs require different NEWTs to be taken.

I have chosen the job of banker at Gringotts (the wizard bank) because it is closest to the accounting degree I'm also starting in August. To get the job of Gringotts banker, you must earn an E in Arithmancy, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Transfiguration. Meaning I have to finish 8 books in August. The last few months I have been averaging 7 books each month, so I think I can do it!

I was able to complete Astronomy, D.A.D.A., and Muggle Studies so far in the month (still 2 more weeks to go). I am trying to Hermione it, but for the NEWTs, I'm only going for what I need to do to become a Gringotts banker. If by some miracle I finish the 8 books for my wizarding job, I will be attempting some NEWTs for the other OWLs I passed.

Enough talking and let's get into my books for the readathon:

  1. Arithmancy
  2. Charms
  3. D.A.D.A.
  4. Transfiguration
Updated on 8/13: I didn't anticipate how quickly I would finish My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen, so I ended up finishing it before The Fiery Heart. But I am halfway through it and I will not be starting anymore E books at the same times as the A books so that doesn't happen again.
Updated on 8/15: Okay, I have officially passed Arithmancy with an E! I'm working on my A in Furthermore and Transfiguration now.
Updated on 8/19: Finished Silver Shadows today, so I now have my A in Transfiguration. 3 books down, 5 to go with 12 more days left in the month :S
Updated on 8/19: Just listened to Soul Surfer and I'm changing my Transfiguration "E" book to it. So now I also have an E in Transfiguration. I have 4 books to go.
Updated on 9/20: I ended up getting A's in Arithmancy, DADA, and Transfiguration. As well as E's in Arithmancy and Transfiguration. But I needed three more books to be able to pass my NEWTs, but college took over. :)

Total books finished: 5
 Total pages read: 1422 + 3 hr 52 min

If you are taking your NEWTs in August, what are you reading?

No comments: