Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Top Ten Hidden [Book] Gems

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. More information here.


This was a little harder than I thought it would be because I tend to read hyped books but like really late, so I don't usually have books on my read list that not a lot of other people haven't read. But here are my favorite hidden gems.

Top Ten Hidden Book Gems #bookworm #toptentuesday

  1. None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio - this book was published in 2015 and features an intersex main character. I think it definitely was a head of its time, as it seems a lot of diversity has started in 2017 and on
  2. Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules for Spying by Amanda Hosch - this only has 65 ratings on Goodreads but deserves so many more. It's a middle grade book that follows Mabel Opal Pear who is sassy and smart and is a spy. The book itself was so well written with so much richness to the characters and plot.
  3. My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen by David Clawson - this is a Cinderella retelling with a MM romance and drag queens. I am currently very obsessed with all things drag and while this isn't the best book out there or my favorite Cinderella retelling, it was enjoyable. Even though the drag queens were over-the-top exaggerated :)
  4. Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston - Anastasia in space. The plot was so intriguing and I didn't want to put this book down. I love the characters and the way the world was described was just A+.
  5. I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend by Martin Short - this is a bio that I don't hear many people talk about. Maybe not many people my age are fans? I'm not sure, but I listened to the audiobook and loved it. I cried multiple times while listening. I laughed multiple times while listening. It was wonderful.
  6. The Delphi Effect by Rysa Walker - This story has a main character who gets ghostly hitchhikers who possess her in order to take care of unfinished business. It's a paranormal dystopian novel and it really surprised me.
  7. Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills - I feel like some folks are picking up on Emma Mills now and for good reason, she writes beautifully. I'm not a fan of the cover of this book and wasn't really interested in it, but it also pleasantly surprised me. I also adore that there is a Midsummer's Night Dream play going on in this particular book.
  8. Prisoner of Ice and Snow by Ruth Lauren - this is a dark, atmospheric MG fantasy that edges in the YA territory with no romance. I need to read the sequel asap and ugh! This one deserves to be read by way more people.
  9. Awkward by Svetlana Cordova - yet another MG novel - this one is a graphic novel that I absolutely fell in love with. It actually has a lot of ratings, but not many reviews. There's a wonderful amount of diversity and the art style is just adorable!
  10. Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den by Aimee Carter - if you like Percy Jackson and Animorphs, you'll enjoy Simon Thorn. This is an easier MG read but so fast-paced and enjoyable.

What are your favorite hidden book gems?
Have you read any of my favorites?

No comments: