Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pandemonium [Review]


Stats:
#2 in Delirium trilogy
414 Pages [Kindle]
Published 28 February 2012
ASIN: B005MMJ84K

Find on Goodreads



Synopsis:
I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.
 



My Thoughts:
Delirium was a fantastic book, in my opinion. It wasn't extremely memorable in the same way that Hunger Games or Divergent were, but it was still a great book. I rated it 5 stars. I adore Lauren Oliver's writing. It's flawless and beautiful. I decided not to reread Delirium before starting on Pandemonium.

I was incredibly impressed with the way Oliver set up this book. Each chapter is in a different time frame. One is "then" - what is happening immediately after the end of Delirium. The other is "now" - what is going on with Lena in the present time. The next part is going to contain some spoilers, so if you haven't read Delirium - go read it! :)

[Spoilers]
The then portions are incredibly heartbreaking and raw. Lena has escaped from Portland and she is in the Wilds, by herself. She is near death when some Invalids save her. They bring her to their homestead and nurse her back to health. It's interesting to see the Invalids in their own environment - doing the very best they can to survive. The now portions were my favorite. It fast forwards to Lena being part of the Resistance and being back inside the fence. She is tasked with keeping an eye on the head of DFA (Deliria Free America), Thomas Fineman's son, Julian. I absolutely love love loved this part of the story.

And let me just tell you...that cliffhanger...CRAY. Can't wait for Requiem!


Previous Review:
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl [here]

Linked up at...

2 comments:

The Pink Growl said...

SOOOOO ready for Requiem in a few weeks!

tara said...

seriously so excited for requiem!!!!!