Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Top "Ten" Favorite Books I Read In 2019

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. More information here.

I tried to narrow down my favorites to ten, but I honestly could not. I read so many fantastic books in 2019 and it was hard for me to try to rank them, so here they are in order of when I finished them chronologically.

  1. Saga, Vol. 9 by Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples - I love this series because it doesn't go easy on breaking your heart. My review for this book was literally "NOOOOOOOO". The artwork is insanely amazing and the story and characters are gripping.
  2. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black - I read 40 pages in early 2018 and then I finally picked it back up in Feb/March of this year. I adore this book. Fae reminiscent of Julie Kagawa's fae. They aren't all nice. There is mischief and political intrigue and I enjoyed the second book just as much.
  3. Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa - After all I've read in the year, this is my favorite book. I loved it so dang much. It was one I was about 40% through in 2018. I basically had to restart it in 2019 and ughhh it was so good. Kagawa is one of my favorite storytellers of all time. Also thanks to Naruto, it was easy for me to latch onto Japanese folklore.
  4. Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett - My second Jenn Bennett and another contemporary that I adored. The characters were so dang cute. I loved reading about a MC with narcolepsy as well.
  5. The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan - I missed reading RR. This story was so funny and full of diversity and friendship. It was fantastic. I loved the Norse mythology too.
  6. Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey - This was the perfect mix of romance/contemporary and smut. The characters were great and I seriously love the cover.
  7. The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang - A romance with a little smut mixed in about an adult with autism that's out of this world. I could not listen to this one quick enough.
  8. Tweet Cute by Emma Lord - This is my third favorite book of the year. I love every part of this book. It isn't even out yet, but I say if you preorder or read any book next year...THIS ONE. The characters are so well fleshed out and so freaking adorable. My heart couldn't take it.  My review goes live on the blog on January 16.
  9. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid - This book was so hyped and I put it off for a long time because I was sure that it wouldn't be for me. I was so wrong. Evelyn Hugo felt like a real person. I kept wanting to look up pictures of movies and red carpets that were referenced that DON'T EXIST. Also I cried multiple times reading it.
  10. Dry by Neal Shusterman and Jarrod Shusterman - Neal Shusterman can do no wrong in my eyes. His dystopians feel eerily real and this one was definitely a very authentic-feeling dystopia. It follows a drought in California that really turns into an "end-world" course of events. So many moments shocked me.
  11. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff - Easily my second favorite book of the year. I put this one off for so long because it's a chonker and has really small print and it was really hyped. I tend to shy away from hyped books. Nick really loved it and kept bugging me to read it. It was another book where I didn't want to stop reading. It read like a movie. I feel like I could see every character, every scene, every description. So well done. I hope I can read Godsgrave and Darkdawn in 2020.
  12. Supernova by Marissa Meyer - The Renegades trilogy is strong from start to finish. The characters slay me. I laughed and cried. Although some things were predictable, not everything was and I was shocked by some events. Well written and so easy to read/listen to.
  13. Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young - I tend to read many series and always wish there were more standalones. However, every single time I read a standalone, I want it to be a series. I want more. This Viking tale was insanely good. It was another written like a movie. I could picture it all.
  14. Meet Cute by Helena Hunting - A hate-to-love trope gets me every single time. I'm a sucker for it. This was pitched to fans of The Kiss Quotient and I enjoyed it so much. There was humor and sadness in it and it was all-consuming.
  15. Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson - I feel like there is a lot of mixed opinions on this story, but I fell in love hard for it. Sorcery. A magical library. So much atmosphere. It was like Beauty and the Beast mixed with Nevernight and I really enjoyed it and wish it were a series.

What books made your favorites list of 2019?
Did any of mine make your list?

No comments: