Wednesday, January 9, 2013

As I Wake [Review]


Stats:
224 Pages [Kindle]
Published 15 September 2011
ASIN: B005DIAVVM
Find on Goodreads


Synopsis:
What if you woke up and didn't know where you were?

What if you didn't know who you were?

And what if, when your memories started to come back--what if they didn't match the you that you're supposed to be?

Ava is welcomed home from the hospital by a doting mother, lively friends, and a crush finally beginning to show interest. There's only one problem: Ava can't remember any of them--and can't shake the eerie feeling that she's not who they say she is.

Ava struggles to break through her amnesiac haze as she goes through the motions of high-school life, but the memories that surface take place in a very different world, where Ava and familiar-faced friends are under constant scrutiny and no one can be trusted. Ava doesn't know what to make of these visions, or of the boy who is at the center of them all, until he reappears in her life and offers answers . . . but only in exchange for her trust.



My Thoughts:
The very substance of this book could make an amazing story, but the execution was poor. There were many parts that seemed out of place, unexplained, and awkward to the storyline. The characters all lacked substance. I also didn't feel any closure when I finished. I whipped through this book in no time at all, but then I was left with nothing but confusion. Did I only read half a book?


Previous Review:
Where the Truth Lies by Jessica Warman [here]


Linked up at...

5 comments:

Abbynormal621 said...

It sounds like an interesting story line. I know you didn't give it a good review and usually I accept bad reviews and mark that book off my list. However, the plot is intriguing even if the execution is poor I think I will have to find out for myself :p Thanks for your reviews. I've been adding books to my reading list that I had never heard of before. I love your blog.

jennie said...

Oh noooooooo. Something must be going around because I just finished a book called Escape and felt the exact same way about it! When I finished I was all: "Did anything even happen in this book! When is the story going to start...oh wait...now it's over? What?" Haha!!

Katie said...

This is a great review! The premise of the story sounds so promising, but it's good to know that after reading I would be left frustrated.

Unknown said...

so glad i came across your blog! your book seems really interesting! ill put it on my goodeads 'to read' can't wait to read more about you and your blog =]

Shoshanah said...

This does have a fun cover, although it's too bad it was so disappointing. Although it does remind me of Sophie Kinsella's Remember Me, at least a version that seems to be a bit more paranormal.