Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cherry Cheesecake Murder [Review]


Stats:
#8 in Hannah Swensen series
352 Pages [Paperback]
[Paperback] Published 1 Feb 2007
ISBN: 0758202954
Find on Goodreads




Synopsis:
Mystery and murder are afoot in Lake Eden as a Hollywood film crew comes to town and Hannah Swensen finds herself busily catering for the cast and crew--plus juggling two marriage proposals. Between the glamorous cast and crew, her rival suitors and a killer on the loose there's plenty of drama to go around in Joanne Fluke's New York Times bestseller


My Review:
Hollywood comes to Lake Eden and things get turned upside down.

This book included a little prologue and it was told in the director's POV. Right off the bat, you learn he is the one who is killed. Then the regular chapters start and it's weeks prior to the director's death. There is all the traditional Swensen stuff: Norman and Mike competing for her attention, Delores, Moishe, and cookies and other delicious treats, of course! But things get mixed up a bit when two of the movie crew happen to be Hannah's old college besties, one of whom, Ross, confesses to having the biggest crush on Hannah during college, even though he was dating the other bestie, Lynne. So now there is a third party in the little competition for Hannah's affections.

I actually really liked this one. It was interesting the whole way through and kept me on my toes. I guessed the whodunit part way early on, but I doubted myself a few times :)

Recipes in the book include: Cocalattas, Peanut Butter and Jam Cookies, Fruit Pocket French Toast, Sally's Flourless Chocolate Cake, Cherry Cheesecake, Mock Turtle Cookies, Jane's Mini Cherry Cheesecakes, All-Nighter Cookies, Chocolate Truffles, Cream Cheese Puffs, Double Flake Cookies, Lemon Cream Torte, Angel Kisses, and Ooey Gooey Chewy Cookie Bars.


Previous Review:
13 to Life by Shannon Delany [here]

Linked up at...

1 comment:

Kate said...

I read one of Joanne Fluke's books before - "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder" I think. It was good but it really made me hungry. I'm trying to cut sweets out of my diet so I came to the sad conclusion that maybe I shouldn't read that series right now...

I actually just got distracted looking at the books you've done reviews on. Have you read "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs? Since you're a YA/"fantasy" fan (I use that term loosely, since some of the books you like seem to be almost-not-quite fantasy) you would probably like it. I thought it was amazing. Also, since you like mysteries, have you read any M.C. Beaton or Rhys Bowen? I think you might like Rhys Bowen, particularly the Her Royal Spyness and Molly Murphy series.

I'm following you - I can always use book suggestions!

(also, I don't know if it would allow you to email me, but if you really want to, it's kate@crazylovelyme.com - and I'm currently trying to update my profile so it sends it to my blog email and not my personal email!)