Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Top Ten Favorite Books Released In the Last Ten Years

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. More information here.


I love this prompt and find it really fascinating. A lot of these books I have read over the last year or so but they were released in different years. I had the most trouble with the last three years because there were others that almost made the cut.

  1. 2009 - The Help by Kathryn Stockett - I think this is up there with To Kill a Mockingbird for me. It's definitely going to be a classic.
  2. 2010 - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - I think this book should be required reading in school. I believe I read this for a banned book challenge and it is one of those books I am utterly shocked by. It's important and it is a great starting point for many important discussions to be had.
  3. 2011 - Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor - This is my all-time favorite book and I was happy to find that upon reread...I still love it just as much as I did the first time I read it, which may have been 2011/2012 time period. Too lazy to go look.
  4. 2012 - Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples - I LOVE Saga. It's everything I like in a fantasy world. The artwork is incredible. The characters are so awesome. The plot is devastating.
  5. 2013 - Pivot Point by Kasie West - This is an alternate universe type of book and it was so well done. It's still my favorite Kasie West book by leaps and bounds.
  6. 2014 - I Must Say: My Humble Life as a Comedy Legend by Martin Short - I listened to this book in the last year (I believe in late 2018) and have to say that it is one of my favorite memoirs ever. I can't say I was ever a superfan of Short, but I did adore his works and found him to be so hilarious. This book covers his comedy career, his friendships, and his marriage to his late wife, Nancy. I laughed and cried while listening.
  7. 2015 - Truth or Beard by Penny Reid - 2015 books weren't much to write home about. I should say the ones I've read aren't much to write home about. So my top is this smutty gem.
  8. 2016* - Scythe by Neal Shusterman - Another top top book for me. Everything about this book was well done and incredible.
  9. 2017* - Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia - My favorite book about a character with anxiety. I really connected with Eliza and I love the artwork in it.
  10. 2018* - Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa - This book is one I struggled to get through until I picked up the audiobook. It's now my new favorite of 2019. I'm not sure anything will top it. It's heavy on Japanese lore and there's lots of action!
Honorable mentions:
2016: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon, My Lady Jane by the Lady Janies, The Hating Game by Sally Thorne, The Delphi Effect by Rysa Walker, and Heartless by Marissa Meyer
2017: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, Daughter of the Pirate King by Trisha Levenseller, The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli, Flame in the Mist by Renee Adhieh, Warcross by Marie Lu, Before She Ignites by Jodi Meadows, Turtles All the Way Down by John Green, Renegades by Marissa Meyer, and Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills
2018: Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett, Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston, and The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

No comments: