Thursday, July 18, 2013

Diary of a Wimpy Kid [Book Review]

*3.5 stars*

Stats:
#1 in Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
Hardcover, 224 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams
ISBN: 0810993139
Find on Goodreads
Synopsis:
Boys don’t keep diaries—or do they?

The launch of an exciting and innovatively illustrated new series narrated by an unforgettable kid every family can relate to

It’s a new school year, and Greg Heffley finds himself thrust into middle school, where undersized weaklings share the hallways with kids who are taller, meaner, and already shaving. The hazards of growing up before you’re ready are uniquely revealed through words and drawings as Greg records them in his diary.

In book one of this debut series, Greg is happy to have Rowley, his sidekick, along for the ride. But when Rowley’s star starts to rise, Greg tries to use his best friend’s newfound popularity to his own advantage, kicking off a chain of events that will test their friendship in hilarious fashion.



My Thoughts:
I have seen the first two movies and had wanted to get my hands on the books to read with my 6 year old for a while now. The book was really funny and the movie was very close to the book. I don't think my kids really picked up on how incredibly selfish Greg Heffley is, but there were a few times that I wanted to tack on a little mini-lecture about how that's not nice to do...but I just left it alone. They seem to think the comics part was the best - especially with the teacher pooping his pants. I really like the voice of the book and feel it really captures a middle school boy's life well :)


Previous Review:
Insatiable by Meg Cabot [here]

Linked up at...



No comments: