Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Something Borrowed [Book Review]


Stats:
#1 in Darcy & Rachel series
Paperback, Movie Tie-In, 388 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published June 1st 2004)
ISBN: 031299317X
Find on Goodreads

Synopsis:
Rachel White is the consummate good girl. A hard-working attorney at a large Manhattan law firm and a diligent maid of honor to her charmed best friend Darcy, Rachel has always played by all the rules. Since grade school, she has watched Darcy shine, quietly accepting the sidekick role in their lopsided friendship. But that suddenly changes the night of her thirtieth birthday when Rachel finally confesses her feelings to Darcy's fiance, and is both horrified and thrilled to discover that he feels the same way. As the wedding date draws near, events spiral out of control, and Rachel knows she must make a choice between her heart and conscience. In so doing, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk everything to be true to yourself.


My Thoughts:
I saw the movie a long time ago because I thought it looked pretty good for a chick flick. Then I found out it was based on a book and found out that Emily Giffin is highly praised by bookworms. When Borders went out of business, I got 5 EG books and they have sat on my shelf for over a year at the very least.

I really loved the style of writing. It was very fluid and easy to read. The characters were very rich and developed. I thought about them long after I finished the book - like they were real people I knew.

Rachel in the book was a little harder for me to like. She was such a pushover. Darcy was easier for me to hate in the book - I couldn't get over how selfish she was. Arrogant and selfish. Dex was less likeable in the book as well. I did like the book more than the movie - like I said up there the characters were really developed. :)

I normally don't read chick lit or have any desire to do so, but Emily Giffin is a chick lit magician!



Previous Review:
Reached by Ally Condie [here]

Linked up at...



No comments: