Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer Lovin' Readathon 2013 [Daily Updates]


During my last readathon, I managed to read 4 books and 1556 pages. My goals for this readathon are 6 books and 1466 pages, although I would love to read more pages than my previous accomplishment. This post is to keep all my updates in one for easy reference. I'm so very excited to be participating. Sign up is open until July 6th, so if you think you're too late, you're not! Go sign up!

Monday:
Currently Reading:
Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)
Pages Read: Unravel: 211; Storm: 51 | Total: 262 pages.

Challenge: This one is hosted by Tamara of Shelf Addiction: Teaser Tidbits
My teaser comes from page 608 of A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin.
"Only a starving man begs bread from a beggar," he muttered.
"Pardon, my lord?"

Participation: Class Orientation: Hi all! I'm Janie of Fortune Favors the Brave. I'm an army wife and mom of two (lucky enough to be married to a bookworm and raising two more!) living in upstate New York, missing our home and family in Tennessee very much. In addition to be completely obsessed with books - I also am a crazy cat lady...see:
:) I love my kitties. My favorite genre is YA, but I love murder mystery type books and anything fantasy/supernatural. I started reading at a really young age because my mom always took me to the library and encouraged it. I can never really remember a time where I didn't love reading. There is a link to my goals above Monday.

Notes: 10AM Starting point for Unravel Me: 34%; Starting point for Storm: p.205


Tuesday:
Currently Reading:
Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)Perception (Perception, #1)For the Good of Mankind?: The Shameful History of Human Medical Experimentation
Pages Read: Unravel: 106; Storm: 53; Perception: 234; For the Good: 14  | Total: 407 pages.
 
Participation: You're the One That I Want: Today's topic is about summer reads. I rarely reread books because I have so many that I have yet to read...if you don't believe me...look at my to-read shelf on Goodreads. However, I find myself always making time to reread the Harry Potter series and it usually starts in the summertime. There is something just so perfect about these books and I can't help but get sucked in during the summertime!

Since my answer is kind of a short one, I'm gonna go ahead and list books I recommend you read this summer - any of them. These are ones I've rated 5 stars. Clicking the book will bring you to Goodreads.
The Silver Linings PlaybookGlitch (Glitch, #1)PoisonPushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)Mila 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)Divergent (Divergent #1)Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)Obsidian (Lux, #1)Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1)Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)The Fault in Our StarsTouch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)

Notes: 12AM Starting point for Unravel Me: 78%; Starting point for Storm: p.256  
9PM I've finished both Unravel Me & Perception today.
Here's my Bella (Bellamous, Mus-mus, Berra Mau) since I talked about posting a pic of her yesterday. She's my kitty.


Wednesday:
Currently Reading:
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)Spartan Frost (Mythos Academy, #4.5)For the Good of Mankind?: The Shameful History of Human Medical ExperimentationHard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
Pages Read: Storm: 27; Spartan: 60; For the Good: 81; Hard Eight: 67  | Total: 235 pages.

Challenge: Page 99 Test from Reviewing Wonderland.
The object is this one is to grab a random book, turn to page 99, read it, make a synopsis based on what you have read, and then tell everyone if you'd want to read more!
Heist Society (Heist Society, #1)
Kat has always been the girl with a crazy family. When her Uncle Eddie comes to visit, she is sure that he is accompanied with bad news. He makes small talk with her overly confident sister, Gabrielle, before asking about a man who is both no one and everyone. Visily Romani. Who is this mysterious man? What does it have to do with Kat and her siblings?

So I got a very vague page with not a lot of information, but when you get into alias talk, you totally have my interest. The writing was very easy to read! :)


Participation: Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee: It's all about the favorite fictional females. I'm going to elaborate later today since it's just now midnight. :)
Hermione Granger
I've always loved Hermione. I love bookworm, nerdy, smart know-it-all girls in stories and Hermione is like the quintessential poster child for that type. When I first started reading Harry Potter, I was around the same age as Harry, Ron, and Hermione were. I grew up with them. So Hermione will always have a special place in my heart as far as any character goes. She's probably my most favorite of all time. AND she's absolutely brilliant. She fights for her friends that she loves. She risks everything. Her wits and wealth of knowledge make her so admirable.

Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone
The way Laini Taylor weaved her story was pure magic. I actually have my Kindle named Karou. Karou is a complete badass. If you've read the story, you know precisely what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, I can't really go into detail without major spoilers.


Daenarys Targaryen
 Mother of dragons. Khaleesi! I found out about Game of Thrones when season 1 premiered in April 2011, but I didn't know it was based on a books series until I finally watched episode 1 near the time that season 2 premiered because it took THAT long to convince my husband that we should give the show a try. Once we found out it was based on a book series, we got the books. Nick read them in no time flat. I'm 1/4 of the way through book 3 right now. While I also love Arya and Tyrion, Daenarys is my fave. To have seen her grow in the parts I've read...to see her overcome everything she has already...her compassion for everyone around her is so so amazing.


Mila of Mila 2.0
I just recently read this one (and have yet to write up my review), but this android very quickly became another favorite female in the YA world. She's an extraordinary character.


Katniss Everdeen
 I don't think any list could be complete without Katniss. The girl who broke the rules to provide for her family, who volunteered in place of her sister, who survived.

Notes: 12AM Starting point for Storm: p.309 and starting point for For the Good: p.15. 2PM Finished For the Good of Medicine and Spartan Frost today. That brings my total to 4 books done.

hoo hoo!

No comments: