Thursday, March 29, 2018

Book Review: The Gender Game by Bella Forrest


Publish Date: September 24, 2016
418 Pages [Kindle edition]


Synopsis:
For fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent
comes a story like no other...


A toxic river divides nineteen-year-old Violet Bates's world by gender.

Women rule the East. Men rule the West.

Welcome to the lands of Matrus and Patrus.

Ever since the disappearance of her beloved younger brother, Violet's life has been consumed by an anger she struggles to control. Already a prisoner to her own nation, now she has been sentenced to death for her crimes.

But one decision could save her life.

To enter the kingdom of Patrus, where men rule and women submit.

Everything about the patriarchy is dangerous for a rebellious girl like Violet. She cannot break the rules if she wishes to stay alive.

But abiding by rules has never been Violet's strong suit.

When she's thrust into more danger than she could have ever predicted, Violet is forced to sacrifice many things in the forbidden kingdom ... including forbidden love.

In a world divided by gender, only the strongest survive...



My Thoughts:
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
But lost it when I got a new Kindle, so I borrowed a finished copy through Kindle Unlimited.

DNF @ 11%
I can tell that I will not enjoy this book and I don't want to continue to read it. I did check some of the reviews on Goodreads and it seems like I'm not the only person who feels that things were entirely too spelled out. Scenes were explained in a "beat a dead horse" manner.

"The wardens led me to the main rectangular gray building and into a reception area where they picked up a set of keys from the woman behind the desk. Then we walked along a hallway before moving down a stairwell, down, down, down, until we reached what had to be the lowermost floor. We arrived at the end of a hallway lined with cells, all empty. They stopped outside the third one on our left and thrust me inside."

There is no good reason to put that much detail into a book...but also lack detail at the same time. It's very elementary detail. The other thing is that the MC is highly unlikeable in the short amount of book I have read. It's hard to connect with a story if you don't like the MC and the word salad.

Find on Goodreads

No comments: