Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Book Review: Kasey & Ivy by Alison Hughes

Publish Date: March 20, 2018
190 Pages [Kindle edition]
Published by Orca Book Publishers

Synopsis:
Through twenty-six letters to her friend Nina, twelve-year-old Kasey chronicles the often humorous observations and impressions of her unexpected, month-long stay in a geriatric ward for the treatment of a rare but treatable bone disease ("osteo-something-something-itis"). Kasey tries to make her life less dull by wearing her own nightgowns, surrounding herself with her favorite stuffies and developing an unusual exercise routine. Hospital food, insomnia and the germy communal bath are enduring sources of dread, but some new (and unexpected) friends make her life bearable.
 
My Thoughts:
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
This book follows 12 year old, Kasey, who has been diagnosed with a bacterial infection that is eating the marrow in her bone. She is writing letters to her friend, Nina, from the hospital during her month long stay as she gets treated with antibiotics. I read most of this in the hospital waiting room and after all the time I have spent in the hospital lately, I could really relate to Kasey's observations, despite being 29 instead of 12. It was a really adorable book and I liked it quite a bit, but I did expect it to be a little deeper than it was.

Find on Goodreads

No comments: