Sunday, August 12, 2012

Shadow of Night [Review]


Stats:
#2 in All Souls Trilogy
592 Pages
Published 10 July 2012
ASIN: B006WEZ9TK
Amazon//Barnes&Noble


Synopsis:
Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches’ cliffhanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew’s old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.


My Thoughts:
Shadow of Night takes off right where Discovery of Witches ended. Diana & Matthew have time traveled back to 1590. In particular, time travel can be a difficult thing to portray. Harkness executes it insanely well. You have The Butterfly Effect going on - and you notice little things that didn't really make much sense in the first book, now make sense with the time travel. I ended up finding a forum that discusses many different layers of the story relating to history and mythology. I will definitely be rereading both books soon and taking vigorous notes. I enjoy a book that can invoke deep thinking and a lot of detective work :)

In this installment, more of Matthew's past comes up - events, friends, and family. It is a much more emotional tale and I found myself angry and sad - there were definitely some bittersweet moments too. I especially like Matthew's father, Philippe. It was hard to really get a feel for his true character at first, but after a few chapters, I couldn't help but really like him. Even if he's a little on the cunning, conniving side! Diana was much more enjoyable in this book - she seemed like more the scholar instead of a little ditsy love drunk girl.

The third and final book is bound to be a killer ending and I am painfully awaiting for the reveal of all my question's answers! :)

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Group USA for the galley!


Previous Review:
Beyond the Wall [here]

Linked up at...

2 comments:

Megan said...

Sounds like an interesting series. I hadn't heard of it before.

Lauren {Adventures in Flip Flops} said...

I have The Discovery of Witches hanging out waiting for me to read, so I'm suuuper glad that you think the next book in the series is worth it. Nothing is worse than starting a series and finding out that the next books are awful!